Wednesday 13 June 2018

Heading Home from Mull


It was about 5 years ago on a visit to Scotland that I took the photographs that were the source for this picture.  My sister and I had gone on a day trip to Mull and Iona.  We took the boat from Oban to Mull in the morning, passing this lighthouse on the way.  Looking back at my pictures, I had taken a couple of photographs and promptly forgot about them, they were not particularly memorable pictures.  The way home was a different matter entirely.  The calm sea and the low September afternoon sun cast a beautiful light over the scene and made some stunning reflections in the water.  It's amazing what a difference the right lighting makes.

At that time I was working mostly in watercolours and I knew that I wouldn't do this scene justice so I filed the pictures away, knowing that one day I would come back to them.  A few weeks ago I went on a colour theory course run by Colour Tutor.  We spent a very interesting day learning about saturation, tone and mixing along with many other topics.  I would highly recommend this course to anyone with an interest in colour.  Combined with a relatively recent move towards working in acrylic, it helped give me the techniques I needed to tackle this picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment