Saturday 24 March 2018

Going home in daylight


The clocks go forward tonight which makes Monday one of my favourite commuting days.  If (big if) I was to leave the office at 5:30 and if (even bigger if) South Western Railway run on time, Monday is the first day of the year when I can arrive home in daylight.

Arriving in Canary Wharf on those dark January mornings can be a bit depressing.  Hundreds of us wrapped up in our winter coats, climbing up the escalators and preparing ourselves to make the quick dash through the rain into the office.  Most of us won't step outdoors again until we make the return journey in the dark later in the day.  This is why the arrival of daylight on Monday will be so welcome.

As those of you who follow me on Instagram will be aware, this first picture was built up over the course of about a month.  I had to be quite careful as I tried to map out the shape of the roof and the perspective on the escalators while still retaining a somewhat miserable atmosphere.  For the next one I wanted to work more quickly so I set myself the challenge of painting the other end of my commute at Fleet station in one afternoon.  I spend a minimum of 3 hours a day commuting and I spent 4 hours on this picture.  Somehow the 4 hours painting felt like a better use of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment